Working in the care sector can be very satisfying as a career and can certainly be much more than a short-term job.
Beginning with induction and going on through qualification and 'continuing professional development', there will always be opportunities to learn more and move through the sector. That moving may mean:
- going 'deeper' through specialising in a particular type of support;
- going 'sideways' by moving into a new service or job role;
- going 'higher' through becoming a manager
- going 'up and away' by launching into a related career that uses care sector experience and qualifications as a starting point
SfC&D supports the use of a number of 'frameworks' to help people go on learning and progressing over time. This includes qualifications frameworks such as:
- the QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework)
- the SCQF (Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework)
- the CQFW (Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales)
SfC&D partners also develop frameworks that underpin the degree programmes for Social Work across the UK.
Skills sets, knowledge sets and other aids for continuing development are also promoted, including 'post-qualifying' frameworks for social workers.